02 Mar Sitter of the Month: Kana Y.
We have the best, experienced NYC babysitters at Hello Sitter. This month’s featured babysitter, Kana Y. , has a masters degree in special education and a 4.5 star rating from our parents. When she’s not teaching kindergarten, she’s traveling the world and running marathons. As one parent simply stated, “Kana is terrific. She is well experienced.” We couldn’t agree more.
1. Hometown: Chicago, IL
2. Education: Northwestern University, B.A. in Communication; Hunter College, Masters in Special Education
3. Years experience babysitting: 10 years
4. I have: one older sister
5. Coolest toy I’ve seen: Sculpting sand
6. My go-to move if a child is feeling some separation anxiety at parents leaving is: Taking their mind off of it with something fun
7. My favorite bedtime story to read with kids and/or favorite children’s authors: Roald Dahl, Kate DiCamillo
8. My snack specialty is: Ants on a log
9. In my free time I like to: Take ballet classes and cuddle with my dog. I also run marathons and was a Girls on the Run Coach. And I like to travel every chance I get. I spent the summer traveling in Asia: Korea, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, and Singapore. Next stop: Hawaii!
10. If I were a superhero my name or talent would be: Flying or teleportation: any power that could take me where I wanted to go fast
11. The NYC kid-friendly place I wish existed in my hometown: Central Park, especially the climbing rocks
12. NYC kids are the best because: They have so many resources right at their fingertips and have amazing curiosity because of it.
13. I love when kids teach me about: What they’re passionate about
More about Kana: “I earned my undergraduate college degree from Northwestern University and my graduate degree in Special Education from Hunter College. I was a NYC Teach For America corps member in 2011 and I’ve loved living in the city and teaching Kindergarten Special Education ever since. I have always loved working with children, starting with my many years of volunteering at a summer camp for children with epilepsy. I have experience babysitting and teaching a wide range of ages from infancy to high school. I like getting to know children and finding out about their personalities, I have fun being goofy with kids while playing games, but I also enjoy having conversations whilst doing an art project. I am adaptable to whatever the child needs.”
Kana’s special skills: speaks French and Korean, plays piano and flute, trained in CPR, trained in special education, experienced with all ages of children
Like Kana, our babysitters are experienced, great with kids, and responsible to the core. Plus they are fully vetted, personally interviewed, and triple background-checked, so you can feel confident using Hello Sitter for your childcare.